Friday 25 November 2011

Honda NC700X

A while back I wrote quite disparagingly about the VFR1200 and how, in my opinion, it was the bike that nobody wanted, nobody needed and which instead of being all things to all men was absolutely nothing to virtually everybody. Well, it seems that Honda haven't quite lost the plot. In fact, quite the opposite. It appears that Honda may actually have been listening to comments made by me and others like me and we have the evidence here and now. The Honda NC700X, NC700C and Integra are all built on the same platform and share a lot of common components including an engine that is derived from splitting a Honda Jazz 1400cc car engine in two.

Want to know more of the technicalities then visit Kevin Ash's web site, Ash-on-bikes but in my view Kevin is spot on. This is the bike that meets most bikers needs most of all most of the time. Technically it is a quiet revolution as it marks a giant step away from producing motorbikes that drink like a fish and screams like a demon to produce unusable amouts of power to feed egos the size of Mars belonging to people with balls the size of pin heads.

I saw these new bikes on the Honda stand at MCL at the NEC Birmingham last Saturday and the only fault I could find was that Honda have stuck to a chain final drive (which on the Integra looks well out of place). Having started with a car engine to produce the power you'd at least have expected them to use car technology to deliver the power.

Integra - that was a Japan only, grey import, car. I'm not sure that Honda had to go that far down the intrgration route with their car division...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you. I still wonder why honda doesn't offer a new bike like the africa twin with the same engine of new transalp or nc700c. Big and confortable and with an adventure bike look.
And moreover the price: I think more tran 10k euros for a bike is too much.