Thursday 18 February 2016

So far, so good

Well so far 2016 has been quite good to me in my new driving job. Ferrying students to sports events including volleyball, netball, basketball, 6-a-side FutSal and football (11-a-side), dodgeball to name a few. Then there have been educational events where I've taken students to venues where they have been having off-site learning or providing younger college students with educational experiences that are aimed at bringing them into Derby University. Then there has been University Open Days and Graduation days where we just shuttle back and forth between locations across Derby. This semester I've taken on a regular Tuesday night run from the University picking up young riders (mostly female, the lads prefer to drive themselves) and taking them out to an Equestrian centre near Etwall for 2 hours with the horses before I do the return run, dropping them off on the way.

Airport runs are a big feature in my working life which involves fetching and carrying UoD staff between their home locations to various airport locations. So far Birmingham International Airport, London Heathrow and Manchester have been the most frequently visited, but already booked are London Stanstead, Liverpool and East Midlands Airport. These runs can be the most informative as the staff usually like to converse for a portion of the ride - 2.5 to 3 hours in the case of LHR. These conversations often revolve around travel and that has made me realise just how well travelled Sue & I are considering that our travels have all been self funded and not been paid for business trips like those the UoD staff are experiencing. One suggestion has been that I create a travel blog and record our travels. Some trips have appeared in this blog and some on my website so I can understand the suggestion to put them all in one place. Makes sense but time is the issue, decision deferred....

No comments: