Friday 5 June 2009

Playing catch-up .... News in brief

Thursday 4th June is voting day across Britain for local and European elections. For us there's no local elections so it's European's only. Sue is responsible for making sure ALL the Polling Stations in Derby City are set up, provisions made for storing the boxes until the count on Sunday, facilities in place for the press, etc.. etc... etc... She's off to work at 08:00 and gets home at 02:30 in the morning (today). She just has to do the votes count on Sunday now...

Wednesday 3rd June is a bad news day. Andy tells us that at the weekend a workmate was knocked off his motorbike and has a broken neck, no paralysis but 12 weeks off work. Then I hear that a former FNIS work colleague gave birth to a daughter prematurely, and the baby died some 6 hours later. And young Robbie at FNIS had his motorbike stolen from outside the gym that night, all caught on CCTV which isn't clear enough to show the registration of the van used to take it away.

Sunday 31st May I lead another ride out around the roads of Derbyshire and the Peak District, starting out from Arkwright's Mill at Cromford, up the Via Gelia to Hartington, through Longnor and Buxton to Fernilee Reservoir before heading up to Newhouses on the A6 and heading cross country to Glossop for a stop at the cafe for lunch. Loads of bikers there, great weather and motorbikes everywhere.



After lunch it was off down The Snake Pass (blustery strong winds)through the grounds of Chatsworth House, up over Downey Moor and down the A61 to Stratstone Motorcycles at Clay Cross for a browse and a cuppa. Then off across Wooley Edge to Matlock Bath and several hundred powered two wheelers. A day in heaven.



Saturday 30th May First thing I'm up and away to the local MoT Centre to get my motorbike MoT tested, and it flies through, no problems. Just after mid-day Dad gets picked up and taken by private ambulance to the Helen Lay Centre for 2 weeks respite for both of them. Mum's now at home resting and doing all those things she doesn't get time to do when Dad's home.

Thursday 16th May A review has been undertaken and I'm given a letter stating that my job was no longer at risk. A mighty sigh of relief was heaved I can tell you. I sent Sue a text to say that we would still be going on holiday with Carole & Giuseppe.

Thursday 9th May was the last day of my 3 month probation period with my new employer Fidelity National Information Services. I was expectant but got a shock, a letter advising me that my job was at risk. It was Mum's birthday but my mind was elsewhere that weekend when Angie and John were up to see Mum & Dad. I didn't want to, and managed not to, say anything about it to any of them.

No comments: