Saturday 20 February 2010

Is it Murphy's or Sod's Law?

Timing or what? I start thinking that maybe, just maybe, I need to start looking for a new job and I get a call from an agency (Elan) saying that they have my C.V. and that there's a role at Capital One in Nottingham and would I like to be considered? Well at least Capital One have moved their initial assessments on-line so I don't have to take time off to do them. But, I've been down this route 3 times with them in the past. First time out I failed the tests simply because I'd never done anything like them and didn't know what to expect. Both the other times I blitzed them getting scores well above average for my peer group. So this time? Can't be bothered and have withdrawn my application. I've got to the final 2 twice and then they chose the younger candidate and this time I'm 5 years older. Plus, Capital One are going nowhere in the UK having only recently made loads of folks redundant, and the parent company in the USA isn't faring so good either....

No, I'll stay put at FIS.

And that would have been that, except I got a call from another agency for another BA role - this time at Experian. This was much easier, as straight no thank you. Again I have "been there, done that", the whole nine yards and been rejected. When I turned up for interview I could tell within minutes who was going to be the preferred choice, and that it was their to loose. Like Capital One, Experian have a policy of constant rounds of redundancy each time they assess individuals performance (normally at end of 6 months and then on the anniversay of joining).

So that's 2 bridges burned. I wonder if there will be any more....?

No comments: