Thursday 9 September 2010

Family health news

Dad was seen by the Out of Hours emergency Doctor on the Saturday of the last Bank Holiday weekend as he was unable to keep food or drink down, vomiting within minutes of being given anything. I went with him to check him into the hospital, arriving at just after mid-day it was 22:45 before he was seen by a doctor and admitted. Due to his history of chest and urinary tract problems he was then put onto intravenous antibiotics and moved from the MAU to ward 404 in the Royal Derby hospital.

Sunday we had to get mother to the Out of Hours surgery as she was in agony with pains in her left side of her back. Drugs and rest prescribed, just as well dad was in hospital. Initially it was thought she may have shingles so she was banned from seeing dad in hospital and he was put in isolation in a room of his own on the ward, and there he stayed until the Thursday when mum saw he GP and shingles was ruled out. Dad was sent home on Saturday by ambulance, with me arriving just as they’d got him into the house and in time to get him in the sling and onto his recliner.

Sue & I spent the whole of that week running round for mother and me doing almost all the visits to see father. The boys went up to see him on the Thursday night as I had other commitments. Again the dog became my main bugbear – mother being unfit and unable to walk it, I still maintain her dog is not my problem especially as I was against her having it in the first place. Sheba is too big and too strong. A smaller dog for company? Perhaps, but not Sheba.

Anyway – I spoke to both Mum and Dad last night and both sounded OK, which is a step in the right direction.

No comments: