Wednesday 9 January 2013

Aprilia Shiver 750 GT

Saturday 5th January saw me pile all my riding gear into the boot of the car and drive over to Staffordshire Triumph for a test ride on this pretty little 2009 Aprilia Shiver 750 GT with just 6,400 miles under its wheels. I had been watching the bike on eBay, BikeTrader and MCN classifieds ever since selling my Deauville (i.e. all over Christmas and New Year) and was set on buying it if it was as good as the pictures and rode as well as it looked.

Tiko spotted me the moment I arrived - it is so nice to be met by a friendly and cheerful grin when you are looking to spend a load of dosh on a major purchase such as this. We chatted as I sat on the bike in the showroom, there was no rush, no pushy sales pitch, and eventually I got my gear on, signed my life away on an insurance waiver form and Tiko brought the bike out of the showroom, got it gassed up and tyres checked.

It has been more than 7 years since I test rode a bike and so I was full of trepidation, plus, I don't know my way around that part of the country that well. So tentative best describes my setting off. No need for fear, this was a well prepared machine that rode as well as it looked and the sound from those under-seat exhausts was glorious. I felt I was sitting a bit high, on rather than in the bike but boy, I was grinning insanely as I rode through urban streets heading out towards the A500 where I was looking forward to a blast. And it was a blast, but not the sort I was expecting. Acceleration was fabulous, far better than anything a Deauville could deliver, but as I went past 60mph I started to feel the full blast - on my chest. The aerodynamics of the fairing was directing all the wind straight onto my chest to the point where I felt I would probably be happier on a naked version of the Shiver. Two junctions down the A500 I came off, round the roundabout and blasted back off up the way and back to the showroom. This just confirmed the earlier impression - great bike, fabulous engine and accompanying sound track but the aerodynamics are all wrong.

Sitting down with Tiko we did some sums as I had a think... but at the end of the day I wasn't convinced. The fly-by-wire throttle was new to me and I'd probably get used to it. It isn't practical and options for luggage are limited and costly. I'd need heated grips, hand guards and a chain oiler for practical reasons. This was all starting to add up to more than I wanted to shell out.

So I walked away. I'm still thinking about it as I write this up 4 days later. I just love it's looks and the one I rode had been spoilt and had obviously lead a sheltered life. It had braided brake lines, rear hugger, belly pan and fender extender. It is immaculate in the true sense of the word and I still want it. But it doesn't fit into the role I have for it. For a blast around some Alpine roads it would be superb, but the ride there and back would be sheer hell.

No comments: