Saturday 16 August 2008

Assessment day

Well I think the best way I can sum up the experience is to say that I'm glad it's done. Intensive? You could say that. I am used to working against the clock to deadlines, but, that is usually in terms of days. This was in terms of minutes. It started off very innocently with an introduction, and then it was full on:-

* First a competency interview, timed for 60 minutes and where I finished with seconds to spare.
* Then an hour to prepare a presentation on a prescribed subject. I finished my prep (if you can call it that) with 5 seconds to spare.
* Then the presentation, which went better than I'd anticipated it would given the level of preparedness, followed by 10 minutes examination and questioning.
* A quick half hour lunch and back for literacy and numeracy testing (where I could have, and should have, done better).
* Then the 4 candidates (of which I was one) all sat down to prepare for a meeting, 30 minutes to prepare, 35 minutes in a meeting where we each played the same role in the scenario fully observed by 4 observers and then the round up and dismissal.

I can see why a firm like Experian do this type of assessment, it is very efficient, but I hope that I don't have to do too many like that in order to get a job. And I hope that it was worth it and that it lands me a job, but, I'm far from confident that Experian will be offering me the Business Analyst position I was assessed for.

The flip side of the coin is that it's the first time I have ever done anything this intensive on my way to getting a job. I've had phsycometric tests (and have another one scheduled for next Wednesday) but this was ALL about competency. I've always advocated that the day I don't learn something will be the day I die, well, this day taught me a lot and proved that I still have a lot to learn. I also learnt a bit more about myself, which is a bonus.

Clint Eastwood (as Dirty Harry) said something like "A man has got to know his limitations...". While I'd agree I'd like to add that, knowing ones limitations one should always be prepared to push the boundaries. On Wednesday some boundaries got pushed, I was moved out of my comfort zone and survived. That's the bonus I take out of the experience.

No comments: