Sunday 15 February 2009

My first week

Yes, I've completed my first week at Fidelity (FIS) in Leicester. The morning commute (by car) is taking 50 miles for the 30 mile journey, while the return journey only takes 35-40 minutes (unless there's been an accident on the motorway like on Friday). The problem is the nuber of oportunities to queue in the mornings, mainly down to volume of traffic. Never mind, I'll start using the motorbike as soon as the weather improves (i.e. possibly tomorrow).

The office is on the 4th (top) floor of the building in Sunningdale Road, Leicester on the edge of the business park. The building is undergoing refurbushment at the moment but our office is little affected. There are about 70 - 80 people in a mainly open plan office and a good number of them ride motorbikes of one form or another, so I feel as if I'm in good company.

Introducions have been made, I've got an email and mainframe logon, inherited an IBM Thinkpad (laptop) of indescriminate age and abilities (it crashed a couple of time Friday) so time will tell on it's worth. Mobile phone is ordered and inductions to the various areas of the business are scheduled for the coming week. I've joined the tea club (most important) and started digesting the manuals I need to cover in order to get up to speed.

All told, quite satisfactory and I'm happy. Let's just hope it stays that way.

No comments: