Saturday 7 March 2009

My motorcycling

Well 4 weeks into my employment and I’ve been able to use the Deauville for my daily commute from week 2, when it got used 4 out of 5 trips, missing out on the Thursday visit to the Birmingham office. Ditto week 3. This week it only saw action on Monday (to Leicester) and Tuesday (to Birmingham) – the latter resulting in a very wet ride home after the weather took a turn for the worse. With day time showers and night time frosts I used the car for the last 3 days commute.

I’m still active on the Deauville forum web site and hoping to get out on some rides with the folks sometime this year. On top of that there are a number of race rep riders at work, as well as a Harley owner and a Virago trike pillion rider, so my motorcycling is accepted much more readily that I have experienced in the past.

Mark’s scooter is now proving more reliable after the attentions I gave it during my period of unemployment. It had got quite unreliable and Mark’s response was to just neglect it rather than telling me about the problems he was experiencing. With the help of Phil on the Deauville forum (he lives nearby and also owns a 400 Burgman) I got it sorted. Yesterday after finishing at university he went off on it to Manchester to visit his girlfriend Eleanor, and I got a text to say that he arrived safe and sound so it must have performed OK.

Over time I’ve got a bit rusty with my use of the spanners but this episode has proved that I can still resolve mechanical problems if I put my mind to it, so it looks like I’ll have to start doing so more often.

No comments: