Monday 17 March 2008

News in general

Well here we are in the middle of March already, Christmas and New Year have become a distant memory, the nightmare of being made redundant has faded and the spectre of unemployment has gone to hide in the wings until 16th May (when my current, fixed term, contract expires). Being uncertain as to whether they will retain me or not, I’m still looking at alternative employment opportunities but not having much luck. There seems to be a lot of jobs out there, but they don’t appear to be real jobs as they mostly evaporate and get taken by internal candidates - which means that the employers were trying to find out what was available and what the asking rate was for the job. However, if I can stay in work then the bank account will (hopefully) stay healthy having received the cash injection that is the redundancy payout. The legacy of Zeda’s collapse is that I’ll have a fair sized hole in my pension contributions which I’ll have to try and make up some time in the future.

On the plus side, both the boys seem settled, Andy in his work and Mark at university (he finished on Friday for a 4 week Easter break). We have made plans to holiday at the end of June/start of July and both boys will be taking their girlfriends with them. In the meantime Mark is looking for a part-time job and has started driving lessons. I really need to change my car for one with a manual gearbox so that he can get some driving experience, but, don’t want to empty the bank account (or take finance) in doing so. I must say I don’t mind the travelling so much when the roads are deserted, like this morning – I’ve never known a Monday morning to be so quiet on the roads I travel. M1 & M69 were both light, and the car’s on-board computer said I’d averaged 55.4mpg (it lies, a lot) but that’s the best figure I’ve ever seen since buying this car. It’s still got to go though.

And life goes on…. Mum & Dad have a settled routine, it must be boring for both of them and I know Mum gets very tired at times. They both seemed OK at the weekend when I took down the shopping Mum had asked me to get. I’ve a few aches and pains but nothing serious. Suzie has the whole week after the Bank Holiday off so she only has to get through to Thursday night this week. And she’s off to a show with Carol later this week, and she’s off to Manchester with Mark & Eleanor on her birthday, and she’s always doing things…. life of Riley if you ask me! This weekend coming Andy will be driving a Lamborghini Gallardo – that should be worth watching – a Christmas present from his girlfriend.

No comments: