Wednesday 9 December 2009

More news of Dad

Last night, just in from work and (fortunately) dinner consumed I got a phone call from Mum - the ambulance was already there to take Dad to A&E. I got down there just as the ambulance pulled out of the end of the road, so I slotted in behind and followed it to the Royal Derby - that was at about 20:20.

A&E was very, very busy. Once admitted we were shown to a bay to await a doctor. At 23:00 I took mum home before returning to stay with Dad until the doctor showed up. Now call me an old sceptic, but, the government has laid down guidelines / NHS targets that state everybody attending A&E should be seen inside 4 hours, so on the basis that he was checked in at 20:40 I was very unsurprised when a doctor mysteriously materialised at 00:30 and spent 10 minutes asking questions and checking Dad over. A plan of action was then laid down...
1. Replace the catheter that had come out
2. Take some blood samples and get them analysed
3. Based on the results of the blood tests, decide if he was to stay or return home - but beds are short and so were his chances of staying in.

So, at 01:20 I made Dad as comfortable as I could and left him in their care - by now I was falling asleep on my feet. I drove home via Mother to return the blister pack she'd taken in with her & Dad in the ambulance (just in case he was admitted) and to advise her that Dad would probably be coming back home but that she should get back to bed.

I got home and fell into bed around 02:00 and was dead to the world inside minutes and was only woken up by the morning alarm. I get to work this morning and make a call to Mum. Dad had been sent home as predicted, arriving a litle after 03:00. I spoke to Mum again at lunchtime and again this evening. Dad has some antibiotics for a urine infection and he's been seen by Dr Paul Moss and is much more comfortable than when laying on the trolley waiting in A&E.

The additional good news is that Social Services have contacted the Helen Lay Centre and Dad will still be allowed his week's respite starting Saturday so Mum gets some much needed extra rest.

I know that Angie has spoken to Mum & Dad tonight so hopefully the news is getting round the family fairly quickly.

No comments: