Monday 7 April 2008

Franchised car dealers

I’ve been looking for a replacement for the Mercedes for a few weeks now. I really fancy a SEAT Leon but I’m also considering a Vauxhall Astra or a Peugeot 308. On Saturday afternoon Suzie and I went up to Sheffield to see a Vauxhall Astra. The thing that attracted me to it was the colour, a real red. Really bold. I like that. Turns out the car is the Elite model, top of the 5 door Astra range with built in sat nav and all the toys. Things didn’t go well. First we turned up at the address on the web site to be told that the car had been taken to their other branch for us to view. So ¾hr late we arrive at the other branch and get shown the car. Immediate disappointment as both front seats have obviously had some heavy bums sat in them and the vehicle hasn’t been prepared at all. The dashboard area looks dirty and the car shows signs of having not been looked after. On the test ride I’m impressed with the way it pulls and the brakes. We get back and I show him round the Mercedes for him to evaluate. He then goes to see his Business Manager.

And this is the bit that I hate about franchised car dealerships. The sales people aren’t allowed to negotiate the price. It’s dictated by the Business Manager. So salesman comes back with some figures. My car plus £3,500. No way! He says “I’ll get the Business Manager to have a look at your car, see what we can do” and disappears again. Then back he comes with an offer that is £300 better (in my favour). I point out that he needs to find another £1,200 in order to get my business, he says he’ll have a word with his Business Manager but without success. What a sham. I say that I’ll stick with the Mercedes and his whole attitude changes from Mr Nice Guy to Mr Hostile so we quickly leave, commenting that he sounds just like a Time Share rep that’s been turned down.

But it’s the same everywhere. They are all like it. All the major firms with franchised dealerships must send their people to the same school for training. Why? It was never like this. But it is now, everywhere you go. And the greater the monopoly the worse their attitude. They all treat you like a moron expecting you to give them your car for nothing and pay top price for whatever you’ve decided to show interest in. I don’t expect them to give the car away but I do expect a fair price in part ex-change AND I do expect them to be courteous to the end. Had we gone home, reconsidered and changed our minds then I may have contacted them and bought the car, but, when they sign you off with bad attitude and rudeness then no way am I going to pick up the phone and say I’ve changed my mind.

So I’m still looking and he can go whistle! He needs sales commission more than I need to buy his Vauxhall. Interestingly, neither of the 2 appointments that were in his diary for the slots after us turned up - seems like they may have known what was in store for them…

No comments: