Wednesday 30 April 2008

A mad, mad week (and a bit)

The last week and a bit has been mad! I’m not sure where to start, so let’s start with some happy news – sister Angie was 50 last week. John brought her up from Colchester to Derby the weekend before her birthday and we all went straight off for a meal at a local carvery. When I say all, I mean Mum, Angie, John, Suzie and I. We had managed to get Jane to sit in on Dad because with his MS he’s confined to the house and can only get out in an ambulance these days. After the meal Suzie took Angie off shopping in town and they had a girlie afternoon.

I paid a visit to the Diabetes Clinic at our GP surgery. Thank goodness my mate Fred can answer my questions (he’s a Type 1 diabetic and has to inject) because all I got from the nurse is that I’m not supposed to eat anything tasty, anything filling, anything sweet. No bread, no spuds, no sugar, no chocolate, no apples, no bananas, no grapes, no cakes, no cider, skimmed milk.... according to her it’s all bad for me (but I can drink whiskey!) and I get the impression that I’m supposed to die of starvation –- sod that for a cart load of monkeys, life is to be lived. She really filled me with confidence when she proudly announced that her husband was diagnosed as Type 2 a few years ago -- I’d have expected her to at least look after his diet so that he didn’t become a diabetic. At least Fred talks sense and has lent me a booklet that rates things in a way that is easy to understand – so now I’m using that as a guide and eating & drinking sensibly given the diagnosis. And I’m starting to loose a little weight -– which must be good.

Last Friday was Sid’s birthday and Saturday night Suzie & I had a night out as part of the birthday group for a meal, drinks, disc and entertainment at The Spot in Derby (visit their website at The Spot, Derby ). The entertainment was a tribute group called Fireworks and they were excellent. One guy, two gals. The gals were good looking, as in legs up to arm pits stunning and boy could they sing – everything from early 70’s stuff right up to date. None of this sing for 5 minutes and then talk for 10. It was all go right from the start, they didn’t stop – well not until the power went off to the stage and the management couldn’t get it back, but, by then they’d done their act and were on their encore.

Work wise I’m commuting between Coventry, Telford and Hitchin. Lots of miles and still finding my feet, but - like British Rail – I’m getting there. It would be nice to know if they are going to extend me beyond 16th May, but for now I just have to keep my head down and concentrate on the job in hand. I’m using the motorbike to commute whenever I get a chance, and that’s currently running at about once a week but looks set to improve as the weather gets better and as I spend fewer nights away. Might even start commuting daily to Hitchin if I can use the bike rather than staying away overnight.

While I’m on the subject of commuting, the Mercedes needed a service so instead of using Inchcape on Pride Park in Derby I went to an independent mechanic who used to service all our cars up until 3 years ago (when we both got cars with warranties). Full service, all parts and labour for £155. That’s a big difference when compared to the usual £400, or £800 that Inchcape have charged in the past, and he’s someone I trust to do a good job – he runs a Mercedes himself.

Another achievement this month is that I’ve published the route for the Deauville Owners ride-out on Sunday as part of the May Mega Meet. A 100 mile ride round and through Derbyshire taking in the Snake Pass. All we need now is some good riding weather for the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of May.

No comments: