Sunday 15 July 2012

Day8 - Saturday

Breakfast finished, bikes fully loaded and gear donned (including an extra "waterproof layer in the form of walker leggings) we bid our hosts farewell and set off on one of 2 routes Steve has prepared. Loaded in the sat navs we have a "Toll" and "non-Toll" route to Calais and we have selected the non-Toll route which is marginally longer but significantly slower estimated at 5.5 hours. We are expecting to run into heavy rain near Rouen and we are not disappointed, just north of Rouen it is almost heavy enough to have us pondering the scenic route but on reaching the decision point we decide to stick with it and a few miles later we ride out into dry but overcast conditions. So that was 25 miles of heavy rain and then the rest of the ride to Calais is drying out time.

Calais has always been kind to us but the new high security approach being adopted in preparation for the Olympics means that it takes us 35 minutes to get from initial queuing to boarding. Unusually we and the other bikers present are shown on first ahead of the cars. There are 2 BMW R1200GS ahead of us, 2 Harleys, a Ducati ST and a Goldwing trike behind us.

Our arrival at Folkestone is marked by a clap of thunder. We leave the shelter of the carriage and head to the Fuel station just a few hundred yards from the train, but that is enough to get us externally drenched. We fill the bikes and as I pull forward I say a brief goodbye to Steve and gun the Deauville off and away - I've made my mind up, I'm going to do this leg as quickly as possible. I catch up and pass the 2 Harleys as they chug along in the slow lane, then the trike and just before the M25 I pass the 2 BMWs. They catch me up as I wait at the toll for the Dartford crossing but once allowed through the barrier I don'r see them again. Emerging out of the tunnel the rain has gone and I start drying out, but by Toddington services I need a break and take 15 minutes off the bike. When I get back on there are still miles of "average speed cameras" to restrict my progress but once past Milton Keynes I return to high speed cruise mode which is maintained until I go onto reserve just north of Leicester Forest East. This means I have to reduce the cruising revs by 500 if I am to get home on the one tank of juice - I'd intended to fill up at ASDA and that's what I do. Two miles later I'm home, its 17:50, just 30 minutes after the Chunnel crossing we were supposed to take.

Total mileage Day8 = 457 miles.

Total trip mileage = 1,259 miles.


No comments: