Monday 30 July 2012

Using the train - 5

Now it is no secret that I'm not a fan of modern train travel. Yes, I prefer to take the Euro Tunnel train crossing as it is so much simpler and less time consuming than the ferry (and I'm not the world's best sailor). But for most long distance trips I would rather drive.

So it will come as no surprise that the events of last week have left me feeling even less disposed towards using the train.  The "new aircraft style" seats fitted to the modern high speed trains are the most uncomfortable items I have ever had the misfortune to park my backside on.  Cross Country Trains who run the service between Derby and Reading have the distinction of providing seats so uncomfortable that after last Wednesday's trip to Reading I ended up taking 2 days off work with severe pains in my hips and lower back.  My pain was so strong that it took me nearly 20 minutes to get from the bath to our bed on Wednesday night (a distance of 15 - 20 feet).  Sue was so concerned that she took me to see our GP before she went to work on Thursday morning.  I should have been on another day visit to work in the Reading office but instead I found myself laid out on the lounge floor for a good few hours (as advised by GP).

Today I returned to work.  It was an uncomfortable day but I got through it and excused myself from 2 of the 3 days I was expected to be down Reading way this week.  Thursday will be a site visit which I will drive as the train route involves at least 2 changes and I know my car is comfortable and that I can tailor the fit of the seat to suit my comfort level. 


Tonight I am more comfortable than at any time through the day.  I am resisting the temptation to consume pain killers and focusing on my posture.  If I can maintain this improvement I should be OK for Thursday.  I've an appointment for a massage tomorrow night after work which should help further.  Fingers crossed.

No comments: