Monday 30 July 2012

Nokia is dead, long live Galaxy S2

Saturday 21st was a busy and expensive day. First off I had to be "dad's taxi" to Andy as he's newly acquired BMW 3 series is on a SORN, and with him going off on holiday it will have to wait until he gets back to be tax for the road. I had to call in on mum to sort a few things out for her, then pick Andy up again, only to get a puncture on the way back home - so it's a quick turn about to go get that fixed.

Next up was a trip into town. My Nokia 5800 is dead (see my Normandy beaches posts) and both of our mobiles are out of contract. First we call in on T-Mobile where Adam is happy to spend time with us explaining the various tariffs and phones, but we are heading for Virgin (our current provider) and take our leave. Orange is next but the staff are too busy discussing last night's partying to pay us any attention. O2 is packed out so we cross to Virgin where we are greeted and minimal effort and interest is put into addressing our interest, so I ask for the PAC numbers for our phones so that we can move them. We are given a phone and told which buttons to push for the IVR service. After holding for 10 minutes I get through and get 2 PAC numbers. Sue wants to go to clothes shop so I head back into O2 (it's still packed) then Vodafone where I ask a female advisor about the tariffs on the S2 - £32 (pcm) is openly advertised but their best one is £36 (pcm). I say her logic is screwed up and that T-Mobile only want £26 for the same package that she wants £36 (pcm) for so she suggests I go to back to T-Mobile, and I don't need telling twice.

Sue finds me hanging around outside Vodafone and we walk back to pick up with Adam. We both sign up for The Full Monty 36 at £26 (pcm) and walk out with a black (me) and white (Sue) Galaxy S2 each. Now, ten days on we are both happy with our phones and the package offered - that has fixed our mobile phone expenditure for the next 2 years.

But the day isn't done as Andy wants to visit the local car breakers yard. We are only half a mile from home when a car going the opposite way flicks up a stone and I get a chip on the screen. After scouring the yard for the bits Andy needs with mixed success we return home and I ring my insurer, then Autoglass and an appointment is made for me to drop the car off at their office on Pride Park on Tuesday. That costs me £75 excess as the chip developed into a crack between Saturday and Tuesday. Bugger!


No comments: