Friday 18 January 2008

Home alone

It’s been a quietly busy week this week. Mark had another exam at Uni – his second (and last) since Christmas. As far as he’s aware both have gone well and he’s not concerned in any way. In his words they went “fine” so last night on my way home after work I dipped by and picked him and his mate Sonny up and took them back to Derby. Mark’s girlfriend hasn’t had much luck this week – she also had exams but what with traffic and a noisy neighbour keeping her awake at night, then no hot water or heating in her digs, well let’s just say things could have been better.

I’ve not got any chargeable work on at the moment so my firm has got me doing some internal project work at the moment. It has to be done, it’s long overdue, and somebody has to do it, but, the moment I get some chargeable work then the project will get shelved and forgotten. So where’s the motivation to do a proper job of it? On the car front - I've done absolutely nothing. The Merc is running well so I'll take my time to find a replacement. I started the bike up as it had not been run for 5 weeks. It took a bit of cranking but fired up OK in the end. At least the battery was fine, which is the usual concern over winter.

Sue is having a rough time at work at the moment. I can’t post details here right now so it will have to wait until the whole episode is finished – that’ll be at least 12 weeks from now. Her car passed it's first ever MOT at the weekend (it's now 3 years old) and looks as good as the day she drove it out of the showroom. It's almost done 13,000 miles so no need to replace it just yet. Socially she’s a right busy lass, out every night for the past week except Monday and Thursday. She’ll be out tonight and we are out again tomorrow night. Lots of birthdays this month and then again in March which means loads of parties.

Andy has been kept busy at work, but thankfully, most of it has been interesting or challenging stuff – which is what he trained for. He hates the routine servicing jobs but luckily, with so few BMW trained technicians now working at Stratstone (Derby) most of those jobs go to the less qualified technicians. This week saw him and his girlfriend celebrate 2 years going out together and it still looks strong.

Both sets of parents have been quiet since the turn of the year. Dad is spending more time sitting and less time reclined, which is a good indication of his strength. However, he is house bound and that won’t change. Now that mother and the carers have mastered using the fixed overhead hoists things appear to have improved (got easier) and Mum’s spirits have been good on all the visits so far this year.

I'm looking forward to being home alone tonight - a curry & a can or two.... the phrase nothing to do doesn't often feature in my out-of-work time so tonight I'm hoping! So make my day - don't ring me tonight!

No comments: