Tuesday 30 September 2008

I like (nice) surprises

First surprise of the day was a phone call from Don to say that he was making a delivery up in Kirkby in Ashfield, and asking if that was far from me in Derby. Too far off his route to get away with (vehicle tracker fitted to his HGV) but close enough to the local motorway services for us to meet up for a cuppa – thanks mate, I owe you one.

Second surprise was that while we were queuing for Don to pay for the cuppa, my mobile rings and it’s Liz from Real Resourcing to say that she’s got me an interview at 10:00 on Friday. So I’m all smiles for the rest of the day and nice and chirpy for the half hour or so it took Don and I to down a cuppa.

On the way back home I paid for 6 months Road Fund Duty on the car, got home and fitted the tax disc to the windscreen. Tidied up and put away my tools, having fitted new front brake pads to Mark’s scooter before going off to meet Don and phoned the bike shop when a test ride by Mark suggested that there is something seriously wrong with the transmission – I just hope it lasts long enough to get it to the bike shop. They fitted new rollers/belt/pulleys so they can sort it out.

Then, at around 15:00 it was down to sorting through the email alerts to see if there were any jobs for me to take a pop at. More good news – 2 that I didn’t recognise as ones that I’d already had an unsuccessful go at, so I “applied on-line” which is all one can ever do.

Then I got an email from Lofty (real name Carol). An ex-colleague at zeda she decided to take retirement when the firm collapsed as she’d only got to get to May in order to do so anyway. Seems that she has just got back from a holiday in St Lucia, where she got a bug in the second week that meant she had to rest up for a few days. What a bummer! Having to rest up in St Lucia. Things like that don’t happen to me. Nice one Lofty, where are you off to next?

No comments: