Saturday 6 September 2008

Time for a career change?

It's now been 9 weeks of job hunting -- without success. Interviews, yes. Competency tests, yes. Jobs applied for now in excess of 60. Job offers, zero. Lots of nice friendly words of encouragement and plenty of invaluable interview experience but I'm getting a bit fed up with my own company and no sign of an earned income.

With time on my hands I've been thinking about a career change. Well not so much a change, but a return to payroll. I worked my way through all levels of payroll, from doing it all totally manual on the old card system issued by the Inland Revenue, through an in-house written batch system typical of early computerised payrolls to Senior Payroll Officer on a mianframe, real time, system from a software house. So I'm thinking, why not put all that experience to good use and go back into payroll? I had a look around late yesterday and there are some positions advertised locally, so now I need a CV to correctly position me for these opportunities. Then Monday I'm going to hit as many local recruitment agencies as I can, looking for that local job. The money will be less, but then, so will the commute, and that will mean a better quality of life for me. I like the sound of that.

No comments: