Thursday 10 July 2008

Getting back to normal

Late on Tuesday afternoon Mark and I collected the replacement TV and installed it in the lounge. First impressions were along the lines of ”boy, that’s BIG!” We’ve stepped up from 37” to 40” with 3 years insurance for a total cost (over the value of the insurance voucher pay out) of £39 which I think is excellent value for money. We’ve stuck with Samsung as all the retailers and reviews opined that they are generally the most reliable and best combination of picture quality and features. Time will be the judge.

Like Tuesday before it, Wednesday morning was spent doing laundry. In between washing machine loads I updated my CV and got down to chasing possible jobs and job agencies with several possibilities being thrown up. Some, like Egg, Eon and Capital One have cropped up before and they take so long making their selection decisions that I’m surprised that they ever manage to recruit anybody. Some of the other roles I’ve not come across before and so offer greater hope for selection. I eventually broke for lunch at 13:00 for lunch and then got down to doing some serious amount of ironing. In total I processed 9 wash loads and was “ironed out” when I got a call from Viv. She’s still looking and not had any work since zeda folded but was cheered up by having had an interview this week and found 3 job possibilities this week after weeks of nothing – I wish her all the luck in landing a role soon.

Of my other reported failures… I transferred my SIM card across to the spare Nokia phone I had inherited from Trinity and it powered up straight off showing 4 bars of charge – not bad as it’s been in the drawer since mid-April. That’ll do for now. As for the camera, I went onto the Canon website and phoned one of their 3 UK authorised repairers. The quote for a “service” was £96 plus part and p&p for a camera that is no longer available new and which cost Sue circa £180 when she bought it for me 2 years ago so it looks like I’ll have to buy a replacement, but, that can wait until I have a salary coming in.

No comments: