Tuesday 29 July 2008

Evidence of recession

It was good to see Angie and John at the weekend, even if it was a bit brief and confined to less than an hour on Sunday morning. Discussing the work situation with John is came out that his employer (a small construction firm) cancelled all overtime 2 months ago, some staff had been lost by natural wastage and others had been laid off (in total 12 jobs had gone) and that this week there is a meeting planned to discuss a 10% pay cut. He’s already taken a significant hit by loosing the overtime element, but as he puts it “it’s better that Job Seekers’ Allowance”. I’ll vouch to that!

On the job search front, yesterday was a right mixture. Most of the day was a downer, 17 email alerts (some 44 jobs) and not one for which I’d consider myself suitable, or, hadn’t already chased. Two phone calls just after midday from agencies saying that the roles I’d been put forward for were not going to call me for interview, then late afternoon a call to say I’d got myself another telephone interview for 11am Wednesday (tomorrow). This afternoon I’m off to Solihull for what will be my first interview since Trinity terminated my employment -- I still find myself searching for their reason for doing so, but accept that I will never know the truth. But that's the past and this interview could be my future, so it's best (new) suit and polished shoes, leave in plenty of time, drive nice and steady and fingers crossed that I put myself across as the man for the job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck for the interview!