Saturday 22 November 2008

JSA sign-on

Friday was sign-on day, so bike out for the trip down into town (sorry, city). First I had a TIS interview. TIS is short for Travel to Interview Scheme, which allows the unemployed to apply for funding to get to attend an interview. As far as I’m concerned it is a way of getting some meagre income from the UK government (some people call these funds “benefits” so why shouldn’t I benefit?). Up until now I’ve gone and got a claim form, producing evidence that I have been called for interview, then gone away, attended the interview, returned home, completed the form and submitted it for payment.

Only someone has changed the rules because too many people have been making false claims. Now I have to complete the form in advance AND have an interview to justify my claim BEFORE I attend the interview itself. So I do this, then see my usual contact and sign-on (she’s not allowed to do both). Having dutifully jumped through their hoops and ensured that I will be paid (the grand sum of £11.15 for TIS and £60.50 per week JSA for the next 2 weeks) I then I went shopping for a few bits and pieces at ASDA, before returning home to prepare for the interview.

No comments: