Saturday 8 November 2008

Not like last Friday

I was determined from the outset that this Friday was not going to be like last Friday -- I was not going to go into the weekend on a downer, a depressed grumpy old man. So it was up early, attack the email job alerts, and then go and sign on. What a surprise, there are 2 roles that really fit my strengths and past experience so I quickly knock of the on-line applications. Minutes later there’s a call from one of the agencies - - he’d picked up my CV in a search the previous evening and then first email of the day was my on-line application, there in his In Box. We quickly cover the formalities, and it’s agreed I’m going forward. Bouyed up I’m off on the bike to sign on.

Having done my bit and proved I qualify for the £60.50 a week they pay out I get on the bike, but I don’t head home, not today. The weather is the best it’s been all week and I’m of to The Limes CafĂ© on the A614 to meet up with Dave & Phil. These two fellow Deauville owners have invited me along on one of their regular ride-outs together and I’m more than happy to tag along. As they are used to riding together I take up the tail gunner, tail end Charlie position. To start we ride on roads I’m familiar with, then turn off onto roads new to me only for me to later find that I’m back on familiar roads again. This is repeated through the afternoon. Ollerton, Newark, Lincoln, RAF Waddington, Southall, Hucknall (bye Dave), Ilkeston and to Oakwood (bye Phil) and back home for 4pm. That’s what biking is all about. Impromptu adjustments to roughed out routes taking in forced diversions and changes to once familiar road layouts. Lincoln cathedral and Southall Minster are both impressive - - and that’s from the outside.


Dave & Phil at RAF Waddington (I'm behind the lens) and 3 Deauvilles - all the same and all 3 different

So did it work, did it have the desire result? Too damned right it did! Better than valium or large quantities of booze. I get home with a stupid great big grin on my face and I’m feeling good. Thanks to Dave & Phil for inviting me along. Ready for the weekend? Too right! Bring it on!

No comments: