Wednesday 22 October 2008

Another milestone

Writing up my JSA review reminded me of another event that I should have shared with you. Last Friday I had a 6 month review – this time at the local surgery with the diabetes nurse, Marion. The good news, I’ve lost 6 lbs in weight since the 3 month review. The bad news is that I should have lost more. The blood test done 2 weeks earlier was “perfectly normal” so my being labelled Type 2 diabetic is all down to a single blood test done because of an infection I’d picked up, done to check that the course of antibiotics had done the job.

However, I’ve been monitoring my blood glucose levels with an Accu-Chek monitor. Showing the readings to Marion proves that I do need to take the medication because I AM diabetic. But I have come to terms with it and have adjusted my diet, perhaps not as much as Marion would like me to, but importantly, enough to control the glucose level in my system. The biggest surprise is that now, after just 6 months I can quite accurately “guess” what my readings are going to be before I take them. On occasions I still forget to take a pill, but, I’m now in tune with my system enough to realise when IT is telling me IT needs some help in the form of a pill. Next review is in 6 months – hopefully I’ll have lost the weight I need to loose by then. Time will be the judge.

No comments: