Sunday 5 October 2008

Respite

Dad went into the Helen Lay Centre near Leamington Spa yesterday. This time it is for 2 weeks, in order that both he, and more especially, mother get some respite from the routine that is mother caring for him 24x7. I went down at midday after mum rung me (as arranged) to tell me that the private ambulance had arrived to pick up dad to transport him to the centre. When I got there dad was already on the stretcher and in the ambulance. So after securing his wheelchair they departed, followed some minutes later by mother & I.

We followed the ambulance into The Centre, assisted where required and mother checked dad in, and we eventually got away around 3:30pm. During our time at The Centre I had established that mum had been up since 5:50 and at 15:30 still hadn’t had anything to eat or drink, so I requested a non-motorway route home from the gps sat-nav and on the cross country route I found a Beefeater pub where we pulled in and I made sure mother had a good meal and cuppa. We then hit the M42 / M1 / A50 for the quick route home.

Hopefully mother will get a full break and rest while other care for dad - she needs it. Anyway, we are having her join us for dinner today so that should be a start for her.

No comments: