Tuesday 28 October 2008

Interviews, Applications & Family

Another day, another interview. This time it was one interview for two roles. Worst of it is, I really, really would like one of these jobs, not fussed which as both are local and offer the sort of challenges I love. Trouble is, that I get more than a bit up tight when I really want a role and that makes appearing cool, calm and collected during interview. Anyway, it’s done now. I had 2hrs 30mins of the interviewers time, which is an whole hour more than I should have had, so that should be a good thing! Was it good enough? I’ll find out in a couple of weeks.

However, not counting chickens before they are hatched, I got home to a load of email job alerts which had to be sifted through – hurrah! There was a potential job hidden away in there so do the usual apply on-line thing and receive the usual email acknowledgement. Then phone calls to be made, chasing up two roles that agencies contacted me with last week. One is still waiting to hear and the other one is interview date & time TBA -- that’s another good thing! Shame it’s Monday 11th November….

I’m told that my culinary skills are improving, and tonight the whole family was in agreement. Soup starter, followed by chops, chips and veg. I’d done a desert as well, an Aldi special price struddle and a jug of custard – it sounds exotic and/or extravagant but all was bought on a Whoops, special buy or price reduced. Andy was home to join us, Mark got home over an hour later and had his on his own. Over dinner Andy tells us of how the current economic down turn is affecting the BMW dealership that he works at – they’ve made a number of redundancies already and he’s concerned that they may start cutting back on the workshop technicians as there’s not a lot of work going through the doors.

Then this evening I got to see Angie and John. Popped down the road, Dad is home from hospital, bruv & sis are there as planned and it’s good to share stories. John’s job looks safe for now (he’s in construction) and Angie is (like me) looking for paid employment. Again, like me, she’s getting plenty of interview experience, but as another fifty something there’s always a reason why somebody else has been chosen to fill the vacancy. Of course there is no age discrimination now in the UK – yeah, right! So explain why I shop at a local supermarket and nobody that works there is older than the manager, and he’s under 30 years old.

No comments: