Wednesday 1 October 2008

PMA

As human beings we all have a perception of every aspect of life that is different to everybody else’s. The reason for this is that there are so many factors that we all, unknowingly, take into account when filtering the information that is before us and on which we are making the judgement(s). For example, I like to think that I am reasonably well organised and that contrary to popular belief, I can multitask, something that it is claimed only women can do. Since becoming unemployed I have taken on the role of House Husband. This means that I do the laundry / washing (including tumble drying and ironing), the washing up, tidying the house and shopping. Additionally I mow the lawn, trim the hedges and bushes, do the recycling and put out the bins. I’m still seen as Dad’s Taxi, Bank of Dad and font of all knowledge (as in “Dad, have you seen my….” or “Dad, where’s the thingamybob”).

Now I put this all down to my PMA. That’s Positive Mental Attitude – an attribute I’ve been fortunate to have inherited from my parents, enhanced by my schooling (about the only good thing I can say about it) and a feature of both my business and private life. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, a positive reason, and that includes my current spell of unemployment. I believe that I act positively in all circumstances and that positive good will result from my actions. Everything is achievable, in it’s own time. And I like to think that people around me see my positive attitude and see me in a positive light. So it’s a gentle reminder, a nudge in the ribs, that this isn’t always the case when I hear the words “Don’t worry Phil, I’m sure you’ll find a job soon”. Just goes to show, my perception of me isn’t always in line with other peoples’. Thank God, I’m human.

No comments: