Friday 1 February 2008

Red Day +1

Boy was it wierd this morning! For the first time in my life I didn't have a job to go to. While still at school, and since the age of 14, I've always had a job. I could always make that choice to be "good" and go in (mostly) or not and stay away. But today was different, I didn't have that choice and it was weird, like empty, sort of.

So what of today...?

First thing I saw my next door neighbour as we put the bins out this morning, had a chat. 20mins later he's at the door with an email address for his son and says to send CV "just in case" - a nice way to start the day.

Telephoned local Citizens Advice Bureau - couldn't find number using Yell.com, got it from Google. Gave all the particulars requested and she phoned me back. Advised to phone Job Seeker line 0800 055 6688. Making and taking her call took up 30 minutes -- thanks Julie for being so patient and understanding.

Then I telephoned the Job Seeker line - the automated voice recognition is fun. It took 3 attempts to recognise my post code (must be the way I pronounce my words). In total that call was over an hour. They want your life history to prepare a statement, which they send you. This has to go with you, with requested evidence, to JS interview (mine is for 6th Feb at 11:40) and failure to attend means no payments. After the Job Seekers Allowance, just about everything is means tested so although they've got my details and I can prove that we can't get by on just Sue's money, if I don't get a job we will have to.

On the suggestion of Neil Dodson at Argos Business Services I emailed my CV to Modus -- after a bit of looking I found an email address here... Modus however, I've had an email from another victim of yesterday that suggests this may not be the right place so I'll follow that one up soon.

Took a phone call from Ian Mander (an old MidlandHR mate who I'd rung last night) who has turned up a short term Deputy Payroll Manager role that is up for grabs. The job is 3 months in York City Council paying "high £20k's" which is better than Job Seekers but I need more.

Got a nudge (via email) from Simon Swinburn at Leicester CC - there was a Technical Analyst role going there, which I sent round the group as it could well suit somebody else. If anybody was interested I hope that they were quick as it closed today.

Nearly forgot -- last night I spoke to another mate Pete who suffered the same fate with MidlandHR (a sister company) nearly 2 years ago. His boss has authorised him to advertise and fill a Project Manager role in 6-8 weeks time, so if I'm not sorted by then it's a strong candidate.

Right at the end of the day I got 2 encouraging phone calls. The first was from the ZEDA HR dept to say that somebody from Trinity Expert Systems was trying to contact me and would I be interested in ringing her back. I did, got her answerphone, left voice mail, then went to the "contact us" on the TESL web site and sent an email requesting they forward it to her, so fingers crossed!

Then my neighbour's lad Richard phone to say his boss had reviewed my CV and had a couple of questions, which I answered and hopefully I'll get a call to interview early next week.

And I find I'm getting loads of encouragement from my fellow Deauvilliers including PMs, emails, a phone call and a number of promising leads. So summing up at the end of Day 1 - an encouraging start, long way to go but no need to get down hearted.

Stiff upper lip! That's the spirit. And if you want to see what others are saying about it all have a look see... Nottingham Post

No comments: